Bookmark and Share

Special Event Permit Office

Permits for special events in the public right-of-way are issued by the Department of Public Works Special Event Permit Office. The permit system ensures public safety by coordinating street closures with the Milwaukee Police Department, DPW's Traffic Division, and Milwaukee County Transit System.  The office also provides permits for hanging vertical banners on city light poles, holiday decorations and reviews vending box permits issued by the City Clerk License Division.

In case of large scale events which create a significant impact on neighborhoods, the Special Event Office facilitates meetings with the event organizer, Milwaukee Police Department, DPW staff, a representative from the Alderperson's office, etc. to ensure public safety, traffic flow is maintained, and the majority of the neighbors are supportive of the impending event.  If your special event will include food, music, large tent, or alcohol please see, Additional Special Event Permit Information.

Examples of events in the public right-of-way for which permits are required include:

  • parades
  • festivals
  • run/walks
  • bicycle rides/races
  • block parties
  • sidewalk sales
  • photo or film shoots
  • parking for production vehicles in conjunction with events
  • use of city street(s) for a school recess area

Contact the Special Event Permit Office at