• Refine Search

  • All Results

Certificate to Sell Vehicles on Public Property 

No person shall leave any motor vehicle that is for sale on public property without first applying for and receiving a certificate from the Department of Public Works (DPW).  Each vehicle that is for sale requires a separate certificate.  Applications for certificates must be done in person.  Phone or mail orders cannot be accepted.  If selling on behalf of a vehicle owner, the applicant must have a properly notarized letter and accompanying title authorizing that person to sell the vehicle.


​Applications and inspections of the vehicle must be made in person at the City of Milwaukee Tow Lot:

  • Milwaukee Tow Lot
    3811 West Lincoln Avenue
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53221
    Phone: (414) 286-2700
    Fax: (414) 286-5093
  • Current Tow Lot Hours of Operation:
    Monday - Saturday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
    Sunday: Closed

Certificate Cost

The fee for the Certificate is $40.00 payable in cash or Visa/Master cards only - checks are not accepted

Permit Duration

Permits are valid for a period of six months from the date of issuance 

Required Documentation 

The following documentation must be provided:

  1. ​A valid state-issued driver’s license.  Persons not having a valid driver’s license must provide a valid passport or valid state-issued identification card
  2. Proof of ownership requires a valid title.  The applicant must be the owner of the vehicle.  


This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System