Bookmark and Share

Licensed Contractors 

Electrical, plumbing and home improvement contractors must be licensed in order to take out permits for work on properties in the City of Milwaukee. Home improvement contractors must also be licensed by the State of Wisconsin.

Use the links on this page to check whether a particular contractor is licensed in the City of Milwaukee:

*NOTE: Contractors seeking to preform work within the City of Milwaukee may be subject to additional license requirements mandated by the State of Wisconsin. 

Click here to look up contractor credentials issued by the State of Wisconsin.

To learn more about City licensing regulations, contact the following:

  • Concrete Contractor licensing: Call the Development Center Tech Team, 414-286-8208
  • Electrical Contractor licensing: Contact the DNS Electrical Inspection Section.  
  • Plumbing Contractor licensing: Call the DNS Plumbing Inspection Section​. 
  • Home Improvement Contractor licensing: Call the City Clerk's License Division, 414-286-2238


City of Milwaukee  

Contact Us

Plan Exam and Permits
809 N. Broadway
First Floor
Milwaukee, WI 53202

M, W, TH, F
8am - 4:30pm


(414) 286-8210

Phone Directory