City of Milwaukee Services During COVID-19 Containment Efforts
In response to the coronavirus pandemic, many City offices currently have limited hours or are closed for walk-in services to prevent the spread of the virus. Please check the department's website for updated information regarding City services or call in advance before arriving in person.
- March 16 - Assessor's Office will be closed for in-person assistance effective immediately.
- Contact (414) 286-3651 or email email@example.com for assistance.
City of Milwaukee Health Department (MHD)
- March 17 - MHD is taking measures at each of our health centers to increase social distancing and prevent community spread of COVID-19. These measures include increasing the frequency of cleanings and reducing the number of chairs in waiting rooms. For the safety of the community and our staff, some services have been temporarily suspended or reduced. Read more about MHD service reductions.
City Clerk's Office
- March 18 - City Hall, Room 205, reception area will close indefinitely. No walk-ins will be accepted. Individuals seeking appointments with Council Members should contact 286-2221.
- Effective immediately, all meetings in rooms scheduled by this office will be limited to 25 persons, including meeting participants and staff. No congregation outside any meeting room will be allowed.
- No walk-ins taken by the City Records Center or the Historic Preservation Section.
- The Municipal Research Library will not have desk service. Please call 286-2297.
Department of City Development
Department of Neighborhood Services
- Effective Thursday, March 26, 2020, the City of Milwaukee Department of Neighborhood Services (DNS) will modify its operations and building inspection protocols so that construction activity can continue safely in the city. March 25, 2020 NEWS RELEASE - Milwaukee Department of Neighborhood Services Adapts Operations and Inspection Processes
- DNS offices remain closed to walk in traffic. This includes all four locations; Administration - 841 N. Broadway, Room 104 & 105, Trades Division – 841 N. Broadway, 10th Floor, Development Center – 809 N Broadway, 1st Floor, Lake Tower – 4001 S. 6th Street.
- For inspection related questions call (414) 286-2268, and for Development Center information call (414) 286-8207.
- DNS has also suspended all non-essential interior property maintenance and fire inspections. Staff will be responding to phone calls, though please note that response times may be longer than normal. Call 286-2268 for assistance.
- Emergency complaints for no heat, water, etc will still be received and addressed at (414) 286-2268.
Department of Public Works
- Our parking services in-person payment centers on Teutonia, James Lovell, and Chase are closed to walk-in service. Customers should use other methods of payment or call us at (414) 344-0840 if they cannot pay with a mailed check, pay online, or by phone.
- All timed, metered & night parking restrictions are suspended to accommodate residents who are home due to COVID-19. ALL other parking regulations remain, including posted “NO PARKING” signs. Enforcement to focus on safety-related violations. View more Parking Servcies information.
- Offers free 'Restaurant Carryout Zone Program' parking spots, signage for restaurants.
- Curbside bulky pick up and street sweeping are suspended, effective immediately.
- Garbage and recycling collection service will continue. While the intention is to remain on-schedule, residents should keep carts placed at the collection point until serviced. Sanitation crews will still collect up to 1 cubic yard outside of the cart.
- Drop-Off Centers will remain open. Effective Tuesday, March 24, fees will be suspended to minimize person-to-person contact and to assist the community who may be financially impacted by COVID-19. Confirm hours of operation at milwaukee.gov/dropoff.
- Spring curbside brush collection has been suspended. Brush and branches are accepted for FREE at the Drop Off Centers.
- The Tow Lot remains open.
- Forestry Services will focus on emergency issues.
- Construction projects programmed and under contract for the 2020 season are proceeding.
- Street Maintenance, Sewer and Electrical Services will focus on emergency issues.
Environmental Collaboration Office (ECO)
- ECO is currently closed. ECO team members are working remotely and may be contacted by email.
- March 16 - Closed for in-person assistance effective immediately. To submit an application, place it int he drop-box provided outside of our office, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Pffice of the City Clerk, License Division, 200 E. Wells Street, Room 205, MIlwaukee, WI 53202. Phone assisatncee is available M-F, 8:15am-4:30pm at (414) 286-2238.
- Transitioning to electronic services. Effective Wednesday, March 18, the office will close to in-person meetings and drop-in visits. Call (414) 286-2200 or email email@example.com for assistance.
Milwaukee Police Department
Milwaukee Public Library
Milwaukee Water Works
- Our Customer Service Center is closed to walk-in service at the Zeidler Municipal Services Building, 841 N. Broadway. Customers should use other methods of payment or call us at (414) 286-2830 if they cannot pay with check, online at milwaukee.gov/water, or by phone. Also, we have suspended the scheduling of meter-related appointments unless one is necessary to restore water service.
- The following options are always available for most account needs: Call (414) 286-2830 for our automated payment service or to talk with a Customer Service Representative, Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- While here on our website, Milwaukee.gov/water, Select Account Information and Customer Service and How to Pay your Bill
- Milwaukee Water Works never disconnects water service because of unpaid bills.
- The Milwaukee Municipal Court is closed to the public through Friday, June 12, 2020.
- If you have a scheduled hearing through June 12, 2020, your hearing will be rescheduled. Notices with the new court date will be mailed to you as soon as possible.
- All unscheduled (walk-in) appearances are suspended until at least June 15, 2020.
- If you have a payment due date during this time, your due date will remain unchanged. However, any alternatives sentences (driver’s license suspensions, warrants, etc.) will not be enforced until at least June 15, 2020.
- To make a payment, please do so online.
- Online payments will be processed Monday-Friday as usual.
- Payment phone line, (414) 286-2878, is open Monday-Friday from 8am-12pm.
- The Court’s payment windows will not be available during this time.
- If you have mailed a payment or other correspondence, items will be processed Monday-Friday.
- All face-to-face appointments with JusticePoint programs are suspended until June 15, 2020. Individuals will be contacted by telephone instead.
Office of Small Business Development
- Until further notice, the Office of Small Business Development will not be available for in-person office visits or phone calls. However, during normal business hours, staff will be working remotely and will be able to respond to emails accordingly. Please email us at email@example.com or directly email staff at the addresses on the right hand side of this page.
Office of the City Attorney
- As of March 18, 2020, the City Attorney’s Office is closed to the public. All meetings have been cancelled. Most attorneys and staff members are working from home, including monitoring their email and voice mail. If you need to contact a particular attorney or staff member, please send an email to that individual or call his or her direct dial telephone number. If you do not know the direct dial number, please call 414-286-2601 and leave a message. The voice mail on our main number is monitored and the message will get to the appropriate individual.
Office of the City Treasurer
- Closed to the public for in-person assistance beginning Tuesday, March 17 until further notice.
- Taxpayers can pay their property taxes online or by mail during this period. The drop box inside the Market Street entrance to City Hall also remains an option for making a tax payment. In addition, taxpayers can call the office at (414) 286-2240 and authorize staff to enter a tax payment online on their behalf.
- Please note that US Bank is suspending the Pay-at-the-Bank option for property tax payments until further notice.
- All questions on tax accounts and tax payments can be made at (414) 286-2240 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org during this period.
- If your tax account is included in a tax foreclosure action or bankruptcy action, you can reach the Tax Enforcement Division at (414) 286-2260.
- The office telephone lines will be open Monday through Friday from 8:15 A.M. until 4:30 P.M.