The City of Milwaukee Health Department's (MHD) student placement program gives students the opportunity to experience public health in practice and apply the knowledge and skills they have gained in their academic training to one of our programs.
As a student placed at MHD, you will have the opportunity to:
- Apply your academic training to tackle real world public health issues;
- Better understand the role of a local health department in protecting the public’s health;
- Gain meaningful public health skills and workforce experience; and
- Establish critical public health networking connections with MHD staff and community partners
MHD offers student placements for a variety of academic backgrounds. Below is a list of student placements we currently have available. If you do not see a placement you are interested in, complete the application and indicate your areas of interest in the “Placement” section. We’ll work to see if there is a good match for you within the department.
Level of Education
|Substance Misuse/ Harm Reduction
- Update, develop, and create substance misuse resources.
- Facilitate Narcan & FTS trainings & distribution.
- Create Substance Misuse/ Harm Reduction policy brief.
|Community Health Improvement Plan
- Assist with implementation of MHD’s CHIP.
- Plan and organize community engagement activities.
- Facilitate Action team meetings.
|Sexual & Reproductive Health
- Update, develop, and create sexual and reproductive health resources/messaging for communities and local providers.
- Community outreach/education.
|Data & Evaluation
- Update Covid datasets for public use.
- Update internal and external use Tableau dashboards
- Create an infant mortality policy brief
|Emergency Preparedness & Environmental Health
Community Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Improvements:
- Establish connections with community organizations, determine best methods for IAQ improvements.
- Oversee work performed by engineers & contractors.
- Collection & measurement of indoor air quality improvements
To apply for one of our student placements:
- Check to see if your College or University has an affiliation agreement in place with MHD. If not, please ask your advisor to email [email protected] to inquire about becoming an affiliated institution.
- Prepare and update your resume.
- Review MHD's Proof of Immunity and TB Screening Checklist. All students must follow this policy, if selected.
- Complete the Student Placement Application.
- Send the Student Placement Application and your resume to [email protected].
- You will receive a confirmation email once your application has been received. The email will also notify you of next steps.
|Student Placement Application Deadline
NOTE: It is recommended that you submit your application as soon as possible for full consideration.