After a permit has been approved by the Plan Examination Section, work may begin on a project. During the different phases of a building project, various inspections are required. The Construction Section is responsible for these required inspections:
- footing and foundation inspections prior to backfill
- rough framing inspections prior to insulating or covering
- insulation and vapor barrier inspections prior to wall finish
- final inspections prior to occupying space
- boiler permit inspections
- boiler safety inspections
- commercial vent hood inspections
- all hazardous type inspections (tanks, spray booths, auto repair, etc.)
The Construction Section also investigates complaints about work without a permit, illegal fences, and others.
Other sections in this department will have required inspections that may coincide with those of the construction section:
After you have applied for a permit, you might want to check to see if a license is required to operate in the City of Milwaukee.
The Construction Section consists of three disciplines:
- Hazardous Occupancy Inspection (See Hazardous Materials Worksheet Instructions as well as the Hazardous Materials Worksheet)
- Boiler Inspection
- Construction Inspection Process
All required inspections must be scheduled with the inspector in the various sections of the department. For general construction questions please call (414) 286-2513.
BUILDING IN THE CITY OF MILWAUKEE
The City of Milwaukee adopts the the State of Wisconsin Building Code for Residential and Commercial Structures. A copy of this code is available electronically on the Wisconsin Department of Saftey and Professional Services (DSPS) website.