Milwaukee Wind Project
City of Milwaukee's 100 KW Wind Turbine
The City of Milwaukee's Office of Environmental and the Port of Milwaukee partners to install a Northern Power 100 KW wind turbine at the Port's administration building near the shore of lake Michigan. The turbine provides more than 100% of the electricity needs of the administration building. "This turbine is a demonstration of the city's commitment to clean energy. It is the first wind energy system to power a Milwaukee city building with clean, renewable electricity. This installation will benefit both the environment and taxpayers of Milwaukee." - Mayor Tom Barrett
View LIVE DATA on the energy production and environmental benefits of the wind turbine
Nov 3, 2011: Groundbreaking hosted by Mayor Barrett
Nov 18, 2011: Foundation completed
Dec 16, 2011: Trenching and electrical run complete
Feb 17, 2012: Tower base section delivery. Installing base tower section and grouting
Feb 27, 2012: Interconnection with We Energies - online data monitoring
For more pictures of the Port of Milwaukee wind turbine construction, visit our Facebook page.
Milwaukee Wind Turbine a Win for Wisconsin
The Milwaukee wind turbine not only provides clean energy for the City, it helped to support Wisconsin's exciting wind industry. The City and Northern Power worked with the following companies to ensure that the majority of components were made right here in Wisconsin.
- Ameron - Brookfield, WI: Coating System
- Anderson Labs - Greendale, WI: Material Testing
- ATCAM Inc - Little Chute, WI: Tower Flange Metallizing
- Bassett Mechanical - Kaukauna, WI: Tower
- Cooper Heat (MQS) - Milwaukee, WI: UT Testing
- Great Lakes Testing - Green Bay, WI: Tower UT Testing
- R&M MFG - Milton, WI: Hub, Generator Rotor, Disk Brake, Retainers, Sleeves,
- Renco Machine - Green Bay, WI: Mainframe, Rear Housing, Turbine Skid, Service Platform
- Scott’s Industrial Coatings - Green Bay, WI: Tower Paint
- Thermtech - Washesha, WI: Heat Treating
- Torrance Foundry - La Crosse, WI: Castings
- Trace-a-Matic - Brookfield, WI: Front Housing
- Installer: Kettle View Renewable Energy
Past Planning Documents
Click on the link above to see the final proposal PowerPoint presentation. The final proposal presentation was given during a public meeting at Bay View High School on March 14, 2011. This proposal placed the Northern Power 100kW wind turbine at the Port Authority Building site. Construction began on the turbine on November 14, 2011.
► Height Comparison with other Landmarks
Click on the link above to see how the proposed wind turbine compares in height with utility scale wind turbines, the Bayview Terrace, the MMSD smokestack and other Milwaukee landmarks.
The Office of Environmental Sustainability has provided this Frequently Asked Questions document to help address questions you may have about the project, and provide additional resources to learn about wind, similar projects and what this opportunity means for Milwaukee's clean energy future.