A snow emergency may be declared by the Commissioner of Public Works (in consultation with the Mayor) to assist in snow clearing efforts. This is normally done during heavy snowfalls or when snow combines with winds that produce blizzard conditions. Such emergency is declared to continue for a period of 72 hours or until such earlier time as snow plowing operations have been declared completed by the Commissioner of Public Works.
During a Snow Emergency, these parking restrictions are in effect:
- No parking is allowed on arterials, bus lines or through highways from 11PM – 6AM
- No parking on that side of residential streets signed “No Parking During Snow Emergency”, “No Parking from Dec 1st to Mar 1st” or “No Parking Anytime.”
- Posted signs for other parking restrictions must be obeyed, specifically the 4” Rule. On other residential streets, comply with the alternate side night parking regulations.
- Vehicles parked on streets designated as “Snow Route Tow Away Zones” will be ticketed and towed when a snow emergency is declared.
- MPS has designated certain school playgrounds available for parking during snow emergencies from 7PM to 7AM and during designated cleanup periods. Cars not removed by 7AM are subject to ticketing and towing.
Winter Parking Regulations - click here for a list of winter parking regulations