Permit to Sell Vehicles on Public Property
- Effective May 1, 2009, the Common Council adopted an ordinance requiring certification for vehicles sold on public property.
- Before selling a vehicle on public property, a certificate must be obtained at the City of Milwaukee Tow Lot.
- The cost of the permit is $40 and will be valid for 6 months from the date of issuance. Payment must be made with credit card, debit card or cash. No checks are accepted.
- Before obtaining a permit, the following must occur: (1) the vehicle must be the property of the person applying for the certificate as demonstrated by the title or the applicant must present the vehicle's title as well as a signed affidavit from the vehicle's owner authorizing the vehicle's sale by the applicant; (2) the vehicle identification number must not be altered in such a way as to render it illegible; and (3) the certificate must be displayed in a manner designated by the Department of Public Works.
- The ordinance applies to the sale of vehicles on all city streets in the city of Milwaukee.
- If a vehicle is parked in violation of this ordinance, the vehicle will be issued a $33 citation and will be towed. The cost of the tow totals $95 and storage totals $20 per day.