Promotional Examination for
OFFICE ASSISTANT III
- Performs clerical work that requires a thorough understanding of administrative procedures, attention to details, independent judgment, and customer service skills. May act as a lead worker; directing a small clerical staff.
- Prepares and assists in the compilation and completion of various reports, correspondence, procedures, forms, and schedules using computers and related software programs.
- Assumes lead responsibility for coordinating operations of office, including directing and training clerical staff and cross-training other staff as appropriate.
- Oversees and participates in the maintenance of established systems for data, filing, records, and report management.
- Composes and types a variety of standard correspondence and form letters and statistical and financial statements requiring research of department files and records.
- Provides customer service assistance to a wide variety of customers both over the telephone and in person.
- Operates a variety of standard office equipment, such as computers, printers, copiers, and fax machines.
- Four years of office experience related to the essential functions listed above.
- NOTE: Job related coursework from an approved college or business school may be substituted for up to six months of the experience requirement. Proof of coursework or transcripts must be provided prior to participating in the examination.
- NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received within three business days after the application period closes. Copies of transcripts must be submitted with application; OR, sent to Department of Employee Relations, City Hall, Room 706, 200 E. Wells St., Milwaukee, WI 53202; OR, click here to submit transcripts via e-mail. (Student copies are acceptable.). Only applications with transcripts will be considered; applications without transcripts will be rejected.
- One year of the above experience must have been at the Office Assistant II level with the City of Milwaukee immediately preceding the date of the examination. Up to six months of equivalent non-City experience may be substituted for this requirement.
- Current status as a regularly appointed City of Milwaukee employee (employee appointed from a City Service Commission eligible list), having passed the probationary period for the current position held. People with provisional, temporary, emergency or exempt appointments and people hired under the authority of the Milwaukee Board of School Directors or anyone hired from a Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission eligible list are not eligible for this opportunity.
- NOTE: Candidates who meet the minimum requirements for Office Assistant III and pass a written exam will be required to pass a proficiency exam in Microsoft Word and Excel (version 2007).
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Ability to provide a high level of customer service.
- Ability to use interpersonal skills to maintain good working relationships with multi-cultural public, coworkers, supervisors, and other city departments.
- Ability to communicate orally in order to convey information effectively.
- Ability to perform basic math calculations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding all work activities.
- Ability to multi-task and meet varying deadlines regularly.
- Ability to accurately maintain numerical and alphabetical filing systems.
- Ability to coordinate and direct the work activities of a small group engaged in performing clerical tasks.
- Ability to write and prepare grammatically correct memos, letters, and general correspondence.
- Ability to read and understand work related documents.
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- The current starting salary (6FN) is $34,373 annually for City of Milwaukee residents. The non-resident starting salary is $33,865 annually.
- The current starting salary for ALEASP is $32,859 annually for City of Milwaukee residents. The non-resident starting salary for ALEASP is $31,915 annually.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests; or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
- NOTE: The City’s residency requirement as set forth in City Charter 5-02 is under litigation. If you have questions regarding your individual circumstances as part of the application and/or selection process, please contact 286-3751.
This is a continuous examination. Examinations will be given as often as necessary throughout 2013 to meet the needs of the City. All candidates will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
#13-071—KV (CN) 10/16/13 EEO 602