TRAFFIC CONTROL ASSISTANT
Department of Public Works—Infrastructure Services Division
(Temporary Summer Position)
Under the general direction of the Traffic and Lighting Engineer, performs traffic studies and compiles and analyzes data related to various transportation facilities.
- Compile and analyze data on traffic conditions and collect data relative to vehicular, pedestrian and bicycle volumes, vehicle speeds, signal phase length and other operational elements, and parking availability and usage.
- Summarize traffic data and complete calculations on traffic characteristics such as peak traffic flow rates, average speed and travel times, signal phase length, and saturation flow rate.
- Enter data into databases, prepare base maps and other engineering plans and documents.
- Prepare engineering reports and work orders.
- Assist in field layout of traffic control devices.
- Evaluate and rate condition of existing traffic control devices.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with
the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
- Status as a college student enrolled in a Civil Engineering curriculum from an accredited college or university who has successfully completed college level course work in math and engineering related studies; students with an interest in Traffic or Transportation Engineering are preferred.
- College transcripts must be received within three business days after the application period closes. Transcripts may be either attached to the application; OR, sent to Box TCA, Department of Employee Relations, City of Milwaukee, 200 E. Wells Street, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202; OR, click here to submit transcripts via e-mail. Only applications with transcripts will be considered; applications without transcripts will be rejected.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Ability and willingness to perform outdoor work which may involve a moderate degree of walking and stair climbing.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with others.
- Knowledge and experience with CADD systems and other engineering, spreadsheet or database software are desired.
- Knowledge of methods outlined in the Highway Capacity Manual, the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, and traffic signal operating characteristics are desirable.
- Written communication skills.
- Ability to use a hand calculator and digital traffic recorder.
CURRENT HOURLY WAGE:
- The current starting hourly rate is (PR PNN) $13.02 per hour for City of Milwaukee residents. The current starting non-resident hourly rate is $12.83 per hour.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation, written, oral or performance examinations or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
The examination will be held as soon as practical after
APRIL 11, 2014 EXTENDED UNTIL APRIL 24, 2014. Receipts of application may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- Note: The City’s residency requirement set forth in City Charter 5-02 is under litigation. If you have questions regarding your individual circumstances as part of the application and/or selection process, please contact 414-286-3751.
#14-031—KV (CN) 3/24/14 EEO 605