PORT MAINTENANCE TRAINEE
(Port of Milwaukee)
ONLY CURRENT CITY OF MILWAUKEE EMPLOYEES WILL BE CONSIDERED
The person in this position performs a wide variety of general labor functions, installing, repairing, and maintaining equipment and caring for the grounds throughout the extensive Port of Milwaukee complex.
- Performs railroad yard and track repairs and maintenance, for example, replaces track material, tamps ballast, aligns track, and use specialized tools.
- Performs basic rough carpentry, painting, glazing, plastering, and cement work.
- Removes snow/ice on roads, docks, and railroad yard with the use of a 2½ ton truck snow plow and tractor loader with bucket.
- Installs and assembles rigging systems.
- Cares for the port grounds, including removing trash, cutting grass and weeds, and spraying for weeds.
- Operates forklifts to move cargo.
- Lubricates railroad switches, power tools, cranes, and vehicles.
- Performs general dockwall maintenance and repairs, replacing timbers and wood decking, at times working from suspended staging over the water.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- The employee must be available for emergency and overtime work at any hour, for long durations, seven days a week in all weather conditions.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities
will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
- Current status as a regularly appointed employee of the City of Milwaukee, having passed the probationary period for the current position held.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
- Experience with railroad track maintenance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Ability to take direction and move from assignment to assignment as required.
- Ability to communicate and work as a member of a team.
- Ability to perform work in a safe manner.
- Ability to perform basic math calculations.
- Ability to climb ladders over 30 feet high.
- Ability to lift and move objects weighing 50 pounds or more.
- Ability to operate power tools and equipment to complete work.
- Ability to read and understand work related materials.
- Ability to build/assemble rigging.
- Ability to handle lines, tie knots, and tie up vessels.
- Ability to work safely on a boat.
- Ability to operate a boom on a vessel.
SALARY (PR 8AN):
- The current starting salary is $31,294 annually for City of Milwaukee residents. The non-resident starting salary is $30,831 annually.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of related education, experience and accomplishments, written tests, interview, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations and the Port of Milwaukee reserve the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral, performance tests or personal interviews. Information from the selection process will be used to make a hiring decision. Selected candidates will be transferred and/or promoted to the position.
- NOTE: The City’s residency requirement set forth in City Charter 5-02 is under litigation. If you have questions regarding your individual circumstances as part of the application and/or selection process please contact 414-286-2105.
For more information about the Port of Milwaukee, visit this web site: www.milwaukee.gov/port.
#14-044TR—JH (CN) 6/20/14 EEO 805