Bilingual Office Assistant I (Spanish/English)
BILINGUAL OFFICE ASSISTANT I
- The City of Milwaukee employs Bilingual Office Assistant Is in all operating departments. Under supervision, Bilingual Office Assistants perform a wide variety of duties which may include typing letters, reports, records and other documents and perform other clerical duties.
- Promotion to Bilingual Office Assistant II is possible upon gaining two years of office experience, which includes a substantial amount of typing and having served as a regularly appointed City of Milwaukee employee having passed the required probationary period.
- Perform administrative duties including preparation of letters, memos, and various reports.
- Maintain schedules and calendars using computer software.
- Enter, update, and maintain data in various databases using a computer.
- Receive messages and communicate via telephone, email, and in person with citizens, department personnel, and other staff members.
- Establish and maintain paper records and files.
- Proofread written materials for accuracy including proper spelling, grammar, vocabulary and punctuation.
- Operate office machines and equipment necessary for efficient operation of the office.
- Read and interpret job related material.
- Perform basic math and calculations.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
- Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking both English and Spanish languages.
- NOTE: Candidates who meet the minimum requirement for Bilingual Office Assistant I and pass a written exam will be required to pass a proficiency exam in Microsoft Word (version 2007).
- Graduation from high school or successful completion of high school equivalency or G.E.D. tests is desirable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to provide satisfactory customer service both in person and over the phone.
- Ability to use a computer for data entry and basic word processing.
- Ability to learn and use various types of office equipment.
- Ability to accurately maintain numerical and alphabetical filing systems.
- Ability to multi-task and meet varying deadlines.
- Ability to perform basic math calculations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding all work activities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with a multicultural, multidisciplinary team, other agencies, and the public.
- The current starting salary is $26,037 annually for city of Milwaukee residents and $25,652 annually for non-residents.
- The current starting salary for ALEASP employees is $24,890 for city of Milwaukee residents and $24,174 for non-residents.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral or performance tests; or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
This is a continuous examination. Examinations will be given as often as necessary to meet the needs of the City. All qualified candidates will be notified of the date, time and place of the examination. Persons placed on an eligible list will remain on the list for 1 year ONLY. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- NOTE: The City’s residency requirement as set forth in City Charter 5-02 is under litigation. If you have questions regarding your individual circumstances as part of the application and/or selection process, please contact 286-3751.
#13-050—KV (CN) 10/16/13 EEO 601
- You must meet the Minimum Requirements listed above.
- Complete the application online OR submit a hard copy. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT BOTH. A resume does not substitute for the required application; however, you may attach one if you wish.
THE CITY OF MILWAUKEE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER THAT VALUES AND ENCOURAGES DIVERSITY.