Fire Lieutenant Promotional Examination
Promotional Examination Announcement Bulletin
The Fire Lieutenant, under general direction, commands a firefighting company and provides direction and supervision to subordinates, typically, Firefighter(s) and Heavy Equipment Operator(s). The Fire Lieutenant provides leadership, training, inspection, and evaluation of subordinates.
- Directs and participates in the firefighting, emergency medical and other field operations of a company;
- Supervises and mentors personnel in quarters and at the scene of an alarm, including planning, scheduling, organizing, maintaining discipline and morale, and training;
- Completes reports and maintains records;
- Promotes positive public relations through community involvement and superior customer service; and
- Ensures personnel are performing their duties in accordance with the Department’s Rules, Regulations, Standard Operating Procedures and Standard Operating Guidelines.
- Applicants must have served continuously as a Firefighter, Fire Paramedic and/or Heavy Equipment Operator (HEO) in the Milwaukee Fire
Department for a combined total of six (6) years as of October 1, 2013.
Continuous service includes:
- Time spent on military leave or duty disability will count toward the actual years of service requirement;
- Absences of 30 days or more for non-disciplinary reasons including education leaves or leaves of absence related to physical disabilities,
such as maternity leave, sick leave or leaves which qualify under the Family and Medical Leave Act; or
- Absences of 5 cumulative days or less for disciplinary reasons, however, the applicant must have the required years of actual service.
A substitution may be made for a maximum of one (1) year of required experience in exchange for one of the following:
- Sixty or more academic credits from an accredited college or university applicable to a degree. College transcripts are required and must
be submitted no later than Friday, August 9 at 4:30 p.m. Student copies are acceptable. Click here to submit your transcripts by e-mail.
- Active certification for performing paramedic service for the Milwaukee Fire Department at time of application; or
- At least one (1) year of service as a regularly appointed Heavy Equipment Operator (not in an acting capacity).
- Licensed by the State of Wisconsin and authorized to practice as an EMT-B by the Milwaukee Fire Department at time of application.
- Completion of the MFD Professional Development Program is highly desirable, but not required.
- Experience as a Heavy Equipment Operator is highly desirable, but not required.
IMPORTANT: Future examinations may require completion of the MFD Professional Development Program, academic credits applicable to a degree, and previous experience as a Heavy Equipment Operator to be eligible to participate in the examination process.
- The examination process will consist of two components: a written multiple choice test and an assessment center. The assessment center will include a fire scene exercise, background qualifications presentation, and an oral interview. Weights of the components will be announced at the written test.
- The written test is tentatively scheduled during the week of September 30, 2013. The assessment center is tentatively scheduled during the week of October 28, 2013. Qualified applicants will be notified of the specific test logistics.
APPLICATION, STUDY GUIDE AND BACKGROUND QUALIFICATIONS DOCUMENT:
- The application, a study guide and sample Background Qualifications (BQ) document will be available on the MFD intranet and the City of Milwaukee intranet (MINT) -- CLICK HERE beginning Friday, July 12, 2013. Applications must be received in the office of the Commission no later than Wednesday, July 31 at 4:30 p.m. Candidates are responsible for ensuring that applications are received prior to the deadline. The Commission is not responsible for applications not received.
- The Background Qualifications (BQ) document is required and must be submitted in the specified format (see sample) via e-mail no later than Friday, August 9, 2013 at 4:30 p.m. Click here to submit your BQ document by e-mail.
REQUEST FOR ACCOMMODATIONS:
- If you will be unavailable for any portion of this examination due to military service or training or wish to request a testing accommodation, you must submit your request in writing no later than Friday, September 27, 2013.
- Questions regarding the job announcement or examination should be directed to Lindsey O’Connor by e-mail at email@example.com, phone at (414)286-5068 or in person at City Hall Room 706.
CITY OF MILWAUKEE FIRE AND POLICE COMMISSION
Room 706A, City Hall 200 East Wells Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202