HOME GR/OWN Projects
2017 Priority Projects:
- Construction of Fondy Park - Grand Opening is September 16, 2017!
- Continuation of #NorthAve17 Greenscaping & Facade grant Project
- Planters located to 5th and 14th & North - January 2017
- Asphalt removal from 15th & North vacant lot - February 2017; Contractor: Walnut Way Blue Skies Landscaping
- Grass installation at 22nd & North, after 2016 tree installation - June 2017
- Code compliance orders resulted in 2 new fences, 3 repainted buildings and additional landscaping at several North Avenue commercial properties as of August 2017
- New grasses planted at 11th & North greenscaping project
- Facade Grant program rollout May 2017
- 7th & Garfield major vacant lot greenscaping and asphalt removal - Completed August 2017
- 6th & North vacant lot greenscaping - Completion deadline is September 15, 2017
- Additional trash cans added to North Avenue
- Hanging flower baskets rehung May 2017
- Healthy food access planning/development with Milwauke health Department and Department of City Development - Maps released June2017; Study in development
- Upkeep and maintenance of the 20 2015 Partners for Places parks and orchards - Hired Walnut Way & Operation Dream teens to maintain our green spaces
- Roll-out of new mobile, solar-powered pump cart for use at new stormwater management cisterns - In use as of June 2017
- Mayor's Monarch Challenge
- Coordination of North Avenue activities with BID #32 and Commercial Corridor Team
2016 Priority Projects:
- Revamped community garden at Richards & Clarke in Harambee - Site maintenance and "Earth Chair" install in June, 2016
- New community garden and orchard with Hepatha Lutheran, Safe & Sound & Groundwork MKE - Complete July, 2016
- Partnering with neighborhood sponsors for further investment & programming at new parks & orchards
- Upkeep and maintenance of the 20 2015 Partners for Places parks and orchards - Replacement trees planted October, 2016
- Roll-out of new mobile, solar-powered pump cart for use at new stormwater management cisterns - See 2017 above
- New pocket park at Brady & Holton in 2017 - on hold due to land sale.
- Free community fruit tree care classes - Update: First classes began in April
- Planning for installation of public art in 2017 at Adams Park, Carter Park and Amani Community Orchard - Carter Park install June, 2017; Amani install September, 2017
- Installation of solar power at Cream City Farms - Update: completed June, 2016
- Cream City Farms - open for business Summer 2016
- 2016/2017 North Avenue Greenscaping Project, announced October, 2016
2015 Priority Projects:
- Development and 2015 construction of new 1.3 acre commercial urban farm at 30th & Brown: 2016: Solar installed, 1st planting, fence work continues. Multiple 2015 aerial videos here
- (14) new orchard parks and (6) new pocket parks built through Partners for Places grant - Update: 6 parks and 14 orchard parks completed November, 2015
- Final construction on All People's Church orchard stormwater features - Update: 1,000 gallon cistern & rain garden complete as of June, 2015 Rain garden planted June '16. Aerial video here
- 2015 Winner of SXSW Eco Places by Design international Design competition - Video of award-winning presentation here
Accomplishments Since 2013 Inception:
There are many other great ideas and potential projects. Please contact us if you have ideas for HOME GR/OWN.
For more details on HOME GR/OWN goals review Milwaukee's sustainability plan, ReFresh Milwaukee.
HOME GR/OWN Partnering in the Community:
- Representation on Milwaukee Food Council Board of Directors ensures City collaboration with Milwaukee & regional community food organizations.
- Representation on Cooperative Institute for Urban Agriculture & Nutrition Steering Committee & Initial Board of Directors
- Coordinating vacant lot rehabilitation efforts with the Mayor Barrett's Strong Neighborhoods Plan & NIDC.
- Building stronger links between new grower training efforts among local providers.
Top row: (l) new orchard installed at Mt. Zion Baptist Church; (m) Groundwork Green Team crew hired to build 2nd & Nash orchard, along with 6 other orchard parks; (r) Zumba class in Gillespie Park, summer 2015.
Second row: (l) aerial of tree holes at SET/HACM Cherry Court Community Garden before tree planting; (m) Pumpkin carving at HG-Outpost Pumpkin Patch at Sunshine Park, 10/24/2015; (r) City's 1st RainShed built by UW County Extension - MKE's own open source design by UWM School of Architecture & Urban Planning.
Bottom row: (r) Mayor Tom Barrett talking to Walnut Way Blue Skies Landscaping work crew during park construction; (m) 2nd & Nash Nigella Community Orchard; (r) 38th & Clark's Scholars Park from the air.