HOME GR/OWN Projects
Accomplishments Since 2013 Inception:
- Passage of major revisions to the city's urban agriculture ordinances
- Aided passage of revised Food Peddler ordinances
- New community gardens & orchards on City vacant lots: with partners Neu-Life, Groundwork MKE & Infallible Helping Hands
- Gillespie Park constructed summer 2014; named 2015 MANDI finalist
- Fundraising targets met to date
2015 Priority Projects:
- Development and 2015 construction of two new urban farms: Alice's Herbal Farm and Cream City Gardens
- 2015 construction of new mini-park at 37th St and Center St
- 20 new orchards and 6 new mini-parks, including Sunshine Park at 14th St. and North Ave., built through Partners for Places grant
- Final construction on All People's Church orchard stormwater features
There are many other great ideas and potential projects. Please contact us if you have ideas for HOME GR/OWN. For more details on HOME GR/OWN goals review Milwaukee's sustainability plan, ReFresh Milwaukee.
HOME GR/OWN Partnering in the Community:
- Representation on Milwaukee Food Council steering committee to ensure City collaboration.
- Representation on Institute for Urban Agriculture & Nutrition steering committee
- Coordinating vacant lot rehabilitation efforts with the Mayor Barrett's Strong Neighborhoods Plan.
- Building stronger links between new grower training efforts among local providers.