Bookmark and Share

Weights and Measures Licensing

The Consumer Environmental Health Division protects consumers from fraudulent practices in the area of weights and measures by issuing licenses and certifying commercial weighing and measuring devices annually.  In addition, division staff check the weight and labeling of prepackaged items for accuracy.  Legal action is initiated as required to ensure compliance with city, state and federal regulations.

General Requirements

A City of Milwaukee Weighing and Measuring Device License is required if a scale, bar code scanner, petroleum meter, timing device, taxi meter or linear meter is used in a commercial transaction.

Business may make arrangements to apply for a Weighing and Measuring Device License by contacting the City Clerk's Office at (414) 286-2238 or online at

Produce Sales

Requirements for the method of sale of produce can be found at

Requirements for Weights and Measures Service Companies and Technicians

Businesses that "install, service, test or calibrate weights and measures" are required to be state licensed. In addition, state technician certification is required for individuals who test, calibrate, service, or seal a weighing and measuring device; remove an official rejection tag; or verify the correctness of a device. See the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection website for more information.

More Information



Please wait while we gather your results.

Consumer Environmental Health Information and Licensing

Convenience Store Security

Requirements of the City of Milwaukee's Convenience Store Security Ordinance.

Farmers' Markets Food Licensing & Sanitation

Information on the sale of food and licensing for farmers' market vendors.

Food Safety for Individuals

Information for individuals and businesses on how to safely handle and cook food.

Mobile Food Establishments

Sanitation and licensing requirements for mobile food vendors (food carts/ trucks).

Opening a Food Business

Links to resources needed to open a food business in Milwaukee.

Tattoos & Body Piercing

Licensing information for tattoo parlors and piercing shops along with health information for those who are considering or who have just recently gotten tattoos/health/piercings.

Temporary Event Food Licensing & Sanitation

Sanitation and licensing requirements for temporary food vendors at events in Milwaukee.

Weights and Measures Licensing

Obtain a license for your weighing or measuring device operating in the city of Milwaukee.