Fire Cadet Program
Are you a 17-19 years old, and looking for a uniquely rewarding career?
Apply to become a Fire Cadet!
Fire Cadet applicants must be 17-19 years old, graduating in the school year that they apply (or earlier) and must be US citizens or authorized to work in the US. Applicants who are 17-19 with a GED are eligible to apply as are those who have a HSED or haev completed a high school home school program that meets Wisconsin Department of Education standards. Young adults who meet the above requirements can complete an application here during the application period, or contact a recruiter to have their name added to our mailing list.
The 2016-2017 application period for Fire Cadet closed at 11:59 pm on December 2, 2016. You can click here to contact a recruiter for more information about next years fire cadet application process.
Fire Cadet Information and Upcoming Events
What is a Fire Cadet?
- Fire Cadets aid in increasing the diversity of the MFD by bringing new ideas and problem solving skills to the fire service. The Milwaukee Fire Department strives to develop a department that is reflective of the City of Milwaukee.
- A job as a Fire Cadet is a gateway to a firefighting career with the Milwaukee Fire Department (MFD). Fire Cadets are full-time civilian employees that perform various support functions while completing training to become a Milwaukee Firefighter/Paramedic.
Fire cadets who are residents of the City of Milwaukee earn an annual starting salary of $23,437($901 biweekly), non-residents earn an annual salary of $22,862 ($879 biweekly). All fire cadets are eligible to receive full health and dental benefits.
What Will You Do as a Fire Cadet?
The Fire Cadet Program consists of academic and physical training conducted by the MFD along with several of our community partners at sites throughout Milwaukee County. The organization of the Fire Cadet Program closely follows the semester schedule of most Milwaukee Area Colleges and Universities. Cadets are required to complete the components of a given semester in order to maintain employment and progress in the program.
Your Career as a Firefighter
- Upon successful completion of the Fire Cadet Program and passing a physical ability test, Fire Cadets may be promoted to the rank of fire recruit and placed in the next scheduled MFD recruit class. Fire Recruits receive a salary of $30,061.
- After successfully completing recruit training, fire recruits are promoted to the rank of firefighter. The current starting salary for firefighter is $40,081 with regular pay increases up to $66,708. Firefighters work a flexible schedule consisting of 24 hour work shifts followed by 48 hours off and receive leave, insurance, and education benefits.
Minimum Requirements (2017)
- High School graduation prior to July 1, 2017*.
- Must be at 17-19 years old when hired. Individuals cannot be older than 19 at time of hire.
- Born on or between August 15, 1997 to December 2nd, 1999*.
- 2.0 cumulative high school grade point average from an accredited high school.
- US citizen or authorized to work in the US.
*Specific application requirement dates change annually