CITY OF MILWAUKEE - ACCRUED TIME OFF DONOR PROGRAM
Guidelines and Instructions (R. 3/25/2013)
Common Council File No. 932015 and Section 350-45 established an Accrued Time-Off Donor Program to assist City of Milwaukee employees who have exhausted all paid leave because he or she is suffering from a terminal or major catastrophic illness or an immediate family member is suffering from a terminal or major catastrophic illness, as certified by a physician. An eligible employee may receive donations of accrued time off, not to exceed 2080 hours per illness, from any qualified City of Milwaukee employee who has elected to donate accrued time off.
Employees interested in donating time shall be permitted to donate whole-hour increments of accrued vacation hours, compensatory hours, and/or personal days to a designated employee who is deemed eligible under program guidelines. Employees shall not be permitted to donate sick leave hours, negative balance hours or any other accrued time off not specified in the ordinance.
EMPLOYEES REQUESTING DONATION OF TIME
- Employees qualified to receive donations of time must complete an Application for Accrued Time-Off Donor Program, which is available on the Employee Relations website under the “benefits” tab.
- The employee or his/her authorized agent is responsible for completing the application and obtaining a physician’s statement certifying that the employee or the employee’s immediate family member meets the program’s medical requirements. The completed application and the physician’s statement are to be returned to:
City of Milwaukee
Department of Employee Relations
Attention: Kristin Urban
200 East Wells Street, Room 706
Milwaukee, WI. 53202
- No determination regarding eligibility to receive donated time shall be made until the Director of Employee Relations has received the requested documentation that the employee has exhausted all of his or her accrued time off and a completed application and a physician’s statement certifying that the employee or the employee’s immediate family member is suffering from a terminal or major catastrophic illness. The decision of the Department of Employee Relations with respect to eligibility shall be final.
- The City of Milwaukee reserves the right to require the employee to obtain at his or her own expense, if not covered or authorized by the employee’s group insurance carrier, a second opinion from a physician of the employee’s selection as to the nature of the physician’s diagnosis and prognosis contained in the physician’s statement.
- Employees eligible to participate in the program and receive donations of time will be notified by the Department of Employee Relations.
- Donations of time will be credited to a special account established by the City of Milwaukee for the purpose of the accrued time off donor program. In the event that the employee does not utilize the entire donation, any remaining time/balance shall revert to the City of Milwaukee. Donated time may only be used to cover absences during the period that this policy is in effect. However, any employee previously approved for the program prior to an expiration date shall be allowed to utilize this program for the maximum permissible number of hours (2080) if such hours become available. Pay code 943 must be used on the time entry for usage of the donated time.
- Employees receiving donations of time may request, in writing, to be notified of the names of employees who donate time.
- Payments received under this program are considered other income and under the IRS guidelines, also to be included in the employee’s W-2 reporting. Employees are reminded to review their income tax withholdings and adjust them if necessary.
- Employee recipient balances in any accrued time off donor program in existence prior to passage of this ordinance shall transfer to the new program.
- Questions regarding this program should be directed to Kristin Urban, Human Resources Compliance Officer - City of Milwaukee: 414-286-6210, or email to email@example.com.
Please contact Kristin Urban at x6210 (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to completing and submitting the following forms:
(Please do not print mass copies as the forms are subject to updates.)