Form I-9, DHS Employment Eligibility
Verification for City of Milwaukee New Hires / Re-Hires
The City of Milwaukee is required by Federal law to hire only persons who are legally authorized to work in the United States. To comply with the law, employers must verify the identity and employment authorization of every person who is hired by having each new hire/re-hire complete the Form I-9.
Completion of Form I-9 is a mandatory condition of employment for ALL individuals employed by the City of Milwaukee. Failure to comply by the deadline may result in separation from City employment.
Completing the Form I-9 is a 2-STEP process with 2 deadlines:
- Form I-9 - Section 1: The employee must complete Section 1 of the Form I-9 online at www.newi9.com
- DEADLINE: Employee start date and NO EARLIER than one week before the start date.
- For use of a City computer, visit the Department of Employee Relations (DER), City Hall, 200 East Wells St, Room 706, M-F 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
- Form I-9 - Section 2: In order to complete Section 2, the employee must come to DER to present acceptable original, unexpired document(s) as indicated in the instructions.
- DEADLINE: Within the first 3 days of the start date – NO SOONER THAN the start date and NO LATER THAN 4:30pm on the third day of work.
I-9 Related Resources: