CITY OF MILWAUKEE -
Milwaukee Code of Ordinances Section 350-45 authorizes the Department of Employee Relations (DER) to administer the Accrued Time-Off Donor Program (ATODP) to assist City of Milwaukee employees who have exhausted all paid leave, when the employee or an immediate family member is suffering from a terminal or major catastrophic illness, as certified by a physician. Employees desiring to receive donations of time must submit an Application for the Accrued Time-Off Donor Program to the DER.
Employees interested in donating time shall be permitted to donate whole-hour increments of accrued vacation hours, compensatory hours, and/or holiday off to a designated employee who is deemed eligible under program guidelines. Employees shall not be permitted to donate sick leave hours, negative balance hours or any other accrued time off not specified in the ordinance.
PROGRAM GUIDELINES (r. 03.09.17):
- The employee or his/her authorized agent is responsible for completing the ATODP application and obtaining a physician’s statement certifying that the employee or the employee’s immediate family member meets the Program’s medical requirements of a terminal or major catastrophic illness. An illness would qualify if it is life threatening, terminal or a medical condition that will result in a substantial permanent disability within the next year. The completed application and the physician’s statement are to be returned to the HR Compliance Officer at the Department of Employee Relations.
- The City of Milwaukee reserves the right to require the employee to obtain at his or her own expense, if not covered or authorized by the employee’s group insurance carrier, a second opinion from a physician of the employee’s selection as to the nature of the physician’s diagnosis and prognosis contained in the physician’s statement.
- No determination regarding eligibility to receive donated time shall be made until the DER Director has reviewed and approved the physician’s statement certifying that the employee or the employee’s immediate family member is suffering from a terminal or major catastrophic illness. The Director also confirms that the employee has exhausted all of his or her accrued time off. The decision of the Department of Employee Relations with respect to eligibility shall be final.
- Employees approved to participate in the Program and receive donations of time will be notified by the DER. The maximum permissible donation is 2,080 hours per illness.
- Employees shall be permitted to donate whole-hour increments of accrued vacation hours, compensatory hours, holiday off days to a qualified employee who has been approved as a participant in the ATODP. Employees shall not be permitted to donate sick leave hours or any other accrued time off not already specified.
- Employees wishing to donate time will be credited to a special account established by the City of Milwaukee for the purpose of the Accrued Time-Off Donor Program. In the event that the Program participant does not utilize the entire donation, any remaining time/balance shall revert to the City of Milwaukee. Donated time may only be used to cover absences during the period that this Program is in effect.
- Pay code 943 must be used in the time entry for usage of the donated time. Payments received under this Program are considered other income and under the IRS guidelines, also to be included in the employee’s W-2 reporting. Employees are reminded to review their income tax withholdings and adjust them if necessary.
- Employees receiving donations of time as a Program participant may request, in writing, to be notified of the names of employees who donate time.
- The employee is responsible for providing periodic updates to the DER regarding Program participation.
- Contact the ATODP Administrator prior to completing and submitting an ATODP application and any other questions:
Victoria Robertson, Human Resources Compliance Officer
City of Milwaukee, Department of Employee Relations
City Hall, 200 E. Wells St, Room 706
Milwaukee WI 53202-3515
Please contact Victoria Robertson at x6210 (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to completing and submitting the following forms:
(Please do not print mass copies as the forms are subject to updates.)