The current application and process is under review for all City Charter School applications due February 2016. All information regarding the application and process will be posted on the website by November 1, 2015.
The City of Milwaukee is interested in high quality applicants who are up to the challenges of opening and operating a school that serve the needs of the children in our city.
The Charter School Review Committee of the Common Council considers applications in February for applicants interested in opening:
- a new school operated either by a new organization or an already-existing non-profit operating in Milwaukee or in another region of the country;
- or an already-existing school interested in converting from its status as a private school;
- or an already-existing charter school interested in transferring from another authorizer.
Additionally, the CSRC accepts applications during an alternate application cycle for organizations that are already operating a school or network of schools in Milwaukee or other regions of the country. This application is due in September.
City of Milwaukee Charter School Review Committee Policies and Procedures Regarding Academic/Education Criteria for School Expansion by Umbrella Organizations
The following policy was adopted by the Charter School Review Committee on August 6, 2012, as a guideline to be used when determining if an umbrella organization is eligible to make an application to open an additional school.
- Umbrella organizations are allowed to make an application to open an additional school during the September cycle after its first school chartered by the City of Milwaukee has received its annual report in August; and
- All of the schools operated by an umbrella organization that are chartered by the City of Milwaukee have obtained a scorecard total of 70% or more during the previous school year.1
Interested applicants should contact Cheri Olp at (414) 288-0405 to express their desire to apply or to learn more.
1 A timeline example:
- 2011–12 school year: August scorecard totals ≥ 70%;
- September 2012: Application for a new school is allowed;
- September 2013: A new school could open if the application meets all requirements and receives a recommendation from the CSRC and approval by the Common Council.