2016 Neighborhood Cleanup Box Program
The Department of Public Works will begin taking reservations for neighborhood cleanup boxes on Tuesday — March 1, 2016. The 2016 program will place up to 13 boxes each Saturday from April 16 through July 23rd. To deter illegal dumping and to maximize the use of the boxes by cleanup organizers, boxes will be placed between 2AM and 10AM on Saturday morning and picked up after 4PM the same day.
The following criteria will be used to screen callers requesting clean up boxes:
- Requestors must organize a neighborhood clean up prior to reserving a box
- Boxes are only placed on accessible street corners — not on vacant lots or parking surfaces
- Boxes are not placed for businesses, schools or churches
- Boxes will not be relocated once placed — they will be removed if neighbors complain
- Reservations are limited to 2 boxes per weekend (out of maximum 13 boxes)
- Organizers may only reserve boxes once every eight weeks
The following items are not to be placed in clean up boxes:
- Construction and building material, TVs, electronics & appliances, tires, tree limbs, leaves, grass — these items should be taken to self help for proper recycling or composting
- Recyclables (paper, cardboard, glass and plastic bottles, steel and aluminum cans} — these items should be taken to self help for proper recycling
- Hazardous Waste (paint thinner, pesticides, used motor oil, etc) — these items should be taken to the HHW site at 3879 W Lincoln on Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays for proper handling
Neighborhood groups are encouraged to use these containers to clean up and beautify their communities. Residents who witness private contractors illegally dumping items into cleanup boxes should contact the Police Department at their non-emergency number (414-933-4444). Cleanup boxes can be reserved by calling 286-3345.
Register Now for a Community Garden Plot
Registration for the Garden District Community Garden is now open. The Garden District Neighborhood Association is now accepting deposits and beginning to map out plots for this year.
To have a plot, there is a rental fee of $25 that will go toward expenses associated with the garden such as materials, seeds, plant purchases and improvements. There is also a $25 clean-up deposit required that will be returned to the plot owner in the fall when the plants have been removed from the plot and the area is cleared out.
Learn more and download the application
Green Corridor Informational Video
What is an Aerotropolis?
aerotropolis milwaukee 1280x720 (1) from Aerotropolis Milwaukee on Vimeo.