Energy benchmarking is an important tool for managing energy use in buildings. At its core, benchmarking tracks energy use over time and compares energy performance to a building’s past performance and to other similar buildings. It helps identify abnormalities in energy use as well as room for improvement. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), buildings reduce energy use an average of 2.4% per year when benchmarking is done consistently over time.
The Better Buildings Challenge – Milwaukee program utilizes ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager® to help buildings benchmark their performance and to track participant progress for awards. The program provides educational and technical help sessions through our partner USGBC-WI and sets up accounts for buildings that are eligible for assessments.
- Visualize your building's energy use
- Track your energy use over time to help identify abnormalities
- Compares your building to similar buildings
- Allows City of Milwaukee to recognize your building for energy reduction accomplishments
- Sign up for an ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager® account
- Attend an educational and technical help session hosted by USGBC-WI