The primary mission of the Vehicle Operations Office is to insure that an adequate number of department members are trained and qualified to safely and efficiently drive and operate department apparatus.
The office has a number of additional responsibilities related to department apparatus operations and driver safety including:
- Assisting the Department's Bureau of Construction and Maintenance with the specifications and construction inspections for the purchase of new apparatus.
||As members of the Apparatus Specification Committee, the Vehicle Operations Office participates in apparatus build inspections and testing. Inspections of our apparatus are conducted at the manufacture at 80% (post paint) and final build intervals. Testing of the apparatus is also conducted during the final build inspection.
- Training Department members on newly purchased apparatus
- Testing of new equipment and procedures related to vehicle operations.
- Providing monthly probationer training to newly appointed members related to vehicle operations.
|The Vehicle Operations Office provides driver training and qualification on our Department modular units to probationer members during one of their monthly training sessions.
- Providing Department wide training on issues related to vehicle operations and vehicle related safety concerns.
- Tracking and analysis of the Department's motor vehicle accidents.
- Writing and updating of the Department's Driver/Operator Manuals.
- Assisting the City of Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission in the development and administration of examinations for the position of Heavy Equipment Operators.
|The Vehicle Operations Office provides training to members after they complete the examination process & are placed on an eligibility list for the promotion position of Heavy Equipment Operator.
- Providing training for firefighters on the Heavy Equipment Operator promotion list.
- Working with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation on issues such as hydrant location marking, standpipe installations and improved freeway response methods.
- Working with the City of Milwaukee Traffic Engineering Department in selecting locations for new traffic signal pre-emption installations.
- Working with the City of Milwaukee Water Works Department to insure adequate water supplies are available for firefighting.
- Providing water supplies for Milwaukee's annual lakefront festivals and other special events
- Service pump testing of the Department's engines
- Responding to all greater alarm fires to assist with the safe operations of the apparatus and provide sufficient water supplies for firefighting operations
The Milwaukee Fire Department Vehicle Operations Office is staffed by:
Mark F. Lorge, Vehicle Operations Training Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rick Ertl, Vehicle Operations Instructor, email@example.com
|The Vehicle Operations Office responds to all greater alarms to assist Incident Command and hour Heavy Equipment Operators with water supply, apparatus placement and apparatus safety.