Official Website of the City of Milwaukee
CALL for Action (414) 286-CITY | Click for Action
Current wait time for vacant lot requests is six months.
Note: We must wait one year after a house has been demolished before we take a request to purchase
the vacant lot. The $1 Vacant Side Lot Program is not available for tax exempt purposes or in commercial areas.
Are you an owner-occupant? Yes No
Address of the vacant lot you wish to purchase:
Are you willing to own, properly maintain and pay taxes on the lot next door to your home?
Are you current on all taxes, water and sewer bills and do not have any outstanding code violations for any property you own in the City of Milwaukee?
Thank you for your interest in the $1 Vacant Lot Pilot Program.
A representative from the Department of City Development will contact you if the lot is eligible to be sold under this program.
809 North Broadway
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Our process is as follows:
• Requests are processed in the order registered and added to the waiting list
• If the lot is available we will contact you with information on next steps
• Lots only available to homeowners who live in their house and have a lot directly adjacent to side of their property
• If two owner-occupants live next to a lot and both wish to purchase it we may divide the property
• If lot is available, your request will be added to a report and submitted to the local alderman for approval
• Once approved, the sale process can begin
• A background check is conducted to insure you are current in your taxes and are in good standing with the City
• The sale process is terminated if you are not in good standing with the City of Milwaukee
• You will be provided an offer to purchase to complete, sign and return
• Any outstanding charges on the property must be cleared
• A date will be set for you to close on the property at the City of Milwaukee Real Estate office
• You must provide a check or money order for the lot purchase and $40.00 for Milwaukee County recording fees
• After closing the recorded deed will be mailed to you within two weeks
Design by City of Milwaukee