Herman Page 1862-1863
Chief Herman Page was considered to be a man of exemplary integrity and ethics. He was appointed by Mayor J.S. Brown in 1861, becoming the third Milwaukee Police Chief. Chief Page had originally hired Beck as Milwaukee's first Chief and upon taking office picked Beck as his first Lieutenant.
The Police Department was now in its new two story headquarters at North Broadway and East Wells Streets. Firearms training and practice took place in the armory, located next door. Horse drawn street cars ferried the population of the City, whose number was increasing at a yearly rate of one patrol man for every 3000 citizens, three times that of New York City.