Northwestern Mutual Tower and Commons Project
Timeline: 2014 - 2017
General Contractor: Gilbane | C.G. Schmidt
SBE Requirement: 25% of construction costs
RPP Requirement: 40% of all hours worked on site
- The 32-story tower will be 550 feet tall
- The Tower and Commons will contain approximately 1.1 million square feet of office space
- The 3-story, 2-block long Commons will be open to the public and include a casual dining cafe and visitors' center.
- Nearly 3 acres of green space, the Northwestern Mutual Gardens will welcome the community with trees and plantings, walking paths, benches, and a patio for outside dining.
- The project enables Northwestern Mutual to retain 1,100 jobs downtown and will provide space to add 1,900 more.
Project Contact Information:
Gilbane | C.G. Schmidt
101 W. Pleasant St., Suite 104
Milwaukee, WI 53212
Northwestern Mutual has announced nearly five dozen local and Wisconsin-based companies, including more than three dozen SBE firms. The press release can be found here.
A complete list of companies who are partnering with Northwestern Mutual can be found here.
City of Milwaukee Business Capacity Building Program | Northwestern Mutual
The City of Milwaukee’s Business Capacity Building Program was designed to mentor and promote existing Small Business Enterprise (SBE) firms actively engaged on the Northwestern Mutual (NM) Tower and Commons project. The program is also designed to ensure full opportunity for participation by SBE firms on future public works and private sector development projects. The goal of the program is to prepare small businesses for sustainable growth that is measured by increased business revenues, new contracting opportunities and job creation.
The program will be a two (2) year commitment (April 2015 - April 2017) beginning with an interview and in-depth business assessment that will guide participants through the development of a personalized plan for business growth.
Participants are expected to be fully engaged in the program curriculum to receive full benefit.
- One-on-one Coaching (Business and Personal)
- Business Solidification Assistance
- Quarterly Training Workshops
- Networking Events and Engagements
- Action Learning Training Sessions
Upon successful completion of the program, firms will be equipped to move forward with a workable plan for their business that includeds: tactics to leverage and market their business, tools to financially manage business growth, and a new mindset on leading, managing and developing talent. Participants also qualified for a grant to further support their business in the implementation of the goals set throughout the program.