Noise Variance Permit
A Temporary Noise Variance Permit may be issued for special community events which are limited in duration and are generally acceptable to the people of the community, provided that precautions are taken to maintain the noises produced at the lowest practical level.
Applications for Temporary Noise Variance Permits must include the following:
- A completed application form for Temporary Noise Variance Permit.
- A check payable to CITY OF MILWAUKEE for $50.70 (fee includes a 1.4% training and technology surcharge).
- A flyer which must be distributed to persons in the immediate area who may be affected by the noise. The flyer must include the following information:
- type of event
- location/address where event will take place
- date and time of event
- contact name/phone number for organization/person responsible for the event
- contact phone number for the City of Milwaukee Department of Neighborhood Services (286-5571) Flyer must state this phone number is for questions regarding the noise permit (DNS reserves the right to reject the flyer or request modification if it is offensive or objectionable in nature.)
- A detailed map of the tent, stage or noise producing area (ie. band, speakers, etc.) in relation to the surrounding residents.
Please submit your application at least 14 days prior to the event. An application that is not received at least 7 days prior to the event will be charged a late fee of $50.70. The application fee and late fee are nonrefundable.
Please mail application to:
Department of Neighborhood Services
Environmental & Nuisance Division
841 N. Broadway Room 105
Milwaukee, WI 53202
The Department of Neighborhood Services will send an inspector to survey the site of the noise production and the surrounding area for possible violations.
Your request will be reviewed by the Department of Neighborhood Services and your alderman for recommendation. As part of the recommendation, your alderman may request a petition from residents in the area stating they approve of the event. Your variance will be granted if approved by the Department of Neighborhood Services and your alderman. The District Police Captain will also be notified of the event. If variance is not approved the fee(s) is/are nonrefundable.
If proper precautions are not taken to minimize the noise to the lowest practical level, the Department of Neighborhood Services and/or Police Department can discontinue the production of noise. Fee(s) is/are non-refundable.
GET A PRINTABLE NOISE VARIANCE APPLICATION FORM FROM THE "DNS FORMS" PAGE (Environmental Section)
GET A PRINTABLE VERSION OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE "DNS FORMS" PAGE (Environmental Section)
Last update 7/21/15