· Increased absentee ballot applications.
· Increased staff time necessary to enter both voter registrations and absentee ballot applications into the Statewide Voter Registration System (SVRS). .
· Dwindling public interest in working an election.
· On-going shifts and changes to election law and State Elections Board rulesr.
· A high volume of Election Day registrations.
· Increased scrutinizing and conflict at polling places on Election Day.
· Increased public and media scrutinizing of campaign finance reports.
· Changes in voting machine technology.
· Increased Hmong and Hispanic voter registration participation.
Key program initiatives:
· Develop and launch a comprehensive poll worker recruitment campaign that pursues multiple strategies for recruiting qualified poll workers.
· Revise the current training curriculum and coordinate a mandatory 2-hour poll worker training prior to the 2008 elections. Class sizes not to exceed 50.
· Revise the curriculum and coordinate a 4-hour chief inspector training and pre- and post-training testing process. Class sizes not to exceed 50.
· Facilitate necessary modifications to the poll worker database, either by converting the database to an alternative software or upgrading the current version
· Develop and implement procedures for the centralized processing of absentee ballots on Election Day.
· Work with the State Elections Board to resolve on-going problems with the Statewide Voter Registration System (SVRS), particularly in the area of absentee ballot record management and generating essential voter reports.
· Review and redesign all absentee ballot processing systems.
· Develop and maintain quality assurance systems for tracking voter registration and absentee ballot data entered into SVRS.
· Increase the department's involvement in voter registration initiatives, including operating voter registration centers prior to large turn-out elections.
· Develop a formalized system for reviewing registration applications completed by Special Registration Deputies.
· Alleviate Election Day overcrowding by reviewing all polling sites to assess voting room size and other considerations.
· Develop a written Accessibility Plan for each polling site, including signage needs, parking, pathways, entrance, equipment needs, etc.