Bookmark and Share

Mobile Food Establishments
Vendedores Móvíles de Comida


Sanitation and Safety Training

El Saneamiento y el Entrenamiento de Seguridad

Operators may arrange for a training session at their establishment by calling (414) 286-5746, or if preferred can watch the following video available in either English or Spanish:


Food Peddler Permit applications are processed by the License Division of the City Clerk's office.

Ice Cream Peddlers

Vendedores Ambulate de Helados

Every person who physically operates an ice cream vending vehicle or any person who physically conducts the vending of ice cream or similar frozen confections from a vehicle or from a carried container must have an Ice Cream Peddler's License. These licenses are issued by the License Division of the City Clerk's office.

Toda persona que opera físicamente un vehículo ambulante de helados o cualquier persona que físicamente realiza la venta de helados o dulces helados similares a partir de un vehículo o carrillo ambulante,  debe tener una licencia de vendedores ambulantes de helado. Estas licencias son emitidas por la División de Licencias de la oficina del Secretario de la Ciudad de Milwaukee.

Mobile Food Establishments

The City of Milwaukee Health Department inspects and regulates all mobile food operations, including ice cream trucks, hot dog carts, popcorn wagons, and full restaurants on wheels. Food peddler vehicle” means any pushed, pedaled, pulled or motorized vehicle or cart from which food is prepared or sold

Mobile Service Bases

Mobile restaurants must have a Mobile Service Base. A place to fill your water tank, dispose of wastewater, wash utensils, and store and prepare food. This base is Required even if all food is prepared on the mobile unit and is in addition to the license for your vehicle or cart. You cannot use a private home as a service base.

Service base requirements

  • Food preparation facilities UNLESS your vehicle is equipped with Health Department approved facilities.
  • Utensil washing facilities (three or four compartment stainless steel sink with drainboards).
  • A sink for hand washing
  • A sink with a threaded tap where the vehicle water tank can be filled with potable water. Hoses must be food grade- no garden hoses. Recreational Vehicle (RV) and restaurant supply dealers are good sources for such equipment. Supply  hoses need to be protected from contamination at all times and kept in a labeled, clean container when not in use.
  • A mop sink or waste drain for the disposal of wastewater.
  • Storage for food and supplies.
  • A food preparation sink may be required. It depends on the food menu.

Mobile Service Base facilities must meet the Wisconsin Food Code standards for floor and wall finishes, equipment, and lighting. If you are sharing or leasing a facility operated by someone else, the Health Department will inspect that location in your name. You are required to have a notarized agreement between you and the facility owner. It should specify the times that your vehicle will be using the base. If asked by an inspector, you must furnish information about the itinerary of your vehicle, so keep this information available at your service base.


Please wait while we gather your results.

Consumer Environmental Health Information and Licensing

Bed and Breakfast Establishments

Permit requirements for bed and breakfast establishments.

Closing-out Sales

Ordinance information for closing-out / going-out-of-business sales.

Convenience Store Security

Requirements of the City of Milwaukee's Convenience Store Security Ordinance.

Farmers' Markets Food Licensing & Sanitation

Information on the sale of food and licensing for farmers' market vendors.

Food Safety for Individuals

Information for individuals and businesses on how to safely handle and cook food.

Mobile Food Establishments

Sanitation and licensing requirements for mobile food vendors (food carts/ trucks).

Opening a Food Business

Links to resources needed to open a food business in Milwaukee.

Tattoos & Body Piercing

Licensing information for tattoo parlors and piercing shops along with health information for those who are considering or who have just recently gotten tattoos/piercings.

Temporary Event Food Licensing & Sanitation

Sanitation and licensing requirements for temporary food vendors at events in Milwaukee.

Weights and Measures Licensing

Obtain a license for your weighing or measuring device operating in the city of Milwaukee.