The City of Milwaukee Common Council created the Milwaukee Commission on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (formerly the Common Council Task Force on Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence) in 1979. Its formation provided Milwaukee with a team of experts and community leaders joined to address the issues of family violence, sexual assault, and child abuse. Commission members work cooperatively with area agencies and institutions, the media, and government.
The purpose of the Commission is to increase safety for victims of domestic violence and their children and for victims of sexual assault, and to hold abusers accountable for their violent behavior.
The Commission is charged with the responsibility of coordinating the community's response to domestic violence and sexual assault by promoting communication and collaboration among members of law enforcement, victims advocates, court staff, school personnel, health care providers, abuser programs, corrections officials, policy makers, children s service providers, prosecutors, and other entities. They educate the community, upgrade the skills and knowledge of professionals, and assist with policy and legislation clarification on issues affecting victims and perpetrators of abuse and assault.
The duties of the Commission include, but are not limited to the following:
- Design and provide special training in the areas of domestic violence and sexual assault for all current officers and recruits of the Milwaukee Police Department
- Review relevant policies and procedures of appropriate public and private agencies with the goal of improving response to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault
- Monitor and promote legislation designed to provide victim safety and abuser accountability
- Provide community awareness efforts aimed at intervention and prevention of domestic violence and sexual assault
Contributors and Collaborators
Appointed members of the Milwaukee Commission on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault include representatives of:
- Milwaukee Health Department
- Milwaukee Police Department
- Milwaukee County District Attorney Office, Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Units
- Wisconsin State Legislature
- The Judiciary
- Milwaukee Public Schools
- Bureau of Child Welfare
- City of Milwaukee Common Council
- City of Milwaukee Mayor's Office
- Wisconsin State Department of Corrections
- Domestic Violence Service Providers
- Sexual Assault Service Providers
- Health Care Providers, and
- Other members of the community
Our "You Are Not Alone" brochure is available for download in English, Spanish, and large print. It supplies the names and phone numbers of organizations that can help if you or someone you know has experienced sexual assault, family violence, or child abuse.
Our safety planning cards, "You Have a Right to be Safe," are available for download in English, Spanish, and Hmong. These cards assist survivors in developing a comprehensive plan to safely escape domestic violence.
For hard copies of these resources, please contact the Commission Coordinator.
For More Information
Coordinator, Milwaukee Commission on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault