NEW Me2 Commercial PACE: Clean Energy Financing
New financing from Me2 helps you make a more profitable and better building!
Me2 Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Financing helps commercial property owners affordably finance building upgrades like heating and cooling systems, lighting, controls, and solar. Pay for improvements over time as you reap the benefits of lower energy and maintenance bills.
Payments for the improvement are collected through a voluntary municipal special charge (City Ordinance 304-26.5). The special charge is attached to the property, not the owner, and is paid back through the property tax system over time. Projects should be designed so the annual energy and other savings pay for the special charge for a net positive cash flow. PACE Financing is good for building owners and the community. It creates local jobs, better buildings, and a better environment. With this public-private partnership, private capital is used to supply upfront funding for the work, so that local government budgets are not burdened.
LEARN MORE: Watch Slide Show on the new PACE program
LEARN MORE: Milwaukee Shines in Retrofitting Buildings to Become Energy Efficient
How It Works
1) SHOW INTEREST: Submit the Me2 PACE Financing Interest Form. This form ensures that the property owner fully understands the program requirements prior to developing a project and full application.
2) APPLY: Submit a completed Me2 Commercial PACE Application, along with supporting documentation including:
a. Signed bid from Participating Me2 Contractor
b. Savings Analysis
c. Energy Savings Performance Contract
d. Join Better Buildings Challenge
3) GET LIEN HOLDER CONSENT: Provide written consent from existing mortgage holder(s) on the eligible property.
4) CITY APPROVAL: The City and its lending partner will review and approve the project if it meets the program terms
5) FINANCING AGREEMENT WITH CITY AND LENDER: The property owner, PACE lender (e.g. MEDC) and the City will close the financing. Loan closing requires standard bank loan documents, plus the PACE Financing Program Agreement.
Eligible Properties & Projects
Commercial properties in City of Milwaukee (all non-residential properties, multifamily buildings with 5 or more units, industrial, retail, and office space). The property must have no property tax delinquencies for three years, free of title disputes, and clear of involuntary liens or judgments.2 Example projects may include: lighting, boilers, chillers, ventilation systems, water efficiency improvements and renewable energy systems.
Small Building Program
The Me² & Focus on Energy Small Business Program provides free assessments to identify energy saving opportunities. The program helps you start saving energy and money right away, with the immediate installation of FREE energy-saving products such as lighting and faucet aerators. For just $129, you will also have the option to upgrade your FREE product package to include even more energy-saving lighting products. Then, Me² provides financing from Summit Credit Union to help you afford bigger projects for exterior lighting, new heating or cooling equipment, refrigeration, etc.
The Small Business Program is designed for customers that use less than 100kW of electricity, and operate in a variety of fields, including, but not limited to:
• Churches Convenience Stores
• Independent Grocers Non-Profits
• Small Hotels/Motels Small Industries
• Independent Gas Stations
• Day Care Centers Schools
• Strip Mall Tenants Restaurants
• Small Laundromats Small Offices
FREE Energy-Saving Product Package
• Compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs & reflectors to replace incandescent or recessed lights
• Vending machine controllers for cold drink machines
• Faucet aerators
• One free LED “OPEN sign to replacing an existing neon “OPEN” sign
• External coffeemaker heating timer
Upgrade for just $129 and your representative will install all of the FREE products, plus:
• LED exit signs
• Unlimited T12/T8 de-lamping (removal of redundant bulbs)
• Wall Box Occupancy sensors
• Interior (36 watt) and exterior (18 watt) hardwired fixtures (replacing existing fixtures)
• 4' T12 to T8 lighting retrofits (maximum includes 4' and 8' lamps)
• 1” hot water pipe wrap
• 42-watt compact fluorescent bulbs
• Walk-in cooler strip curtains
• De-lamping of metal halide fixtures
• Additional energy saving products are available at reduced rates.
Contact one of our Participating Commercial Contractors listed in the "Focus on Energy/Me2 Small Business Providers" section or sign up using our online Business Form.
+ Summit Credit Union Financing
Summit Credit Union provides financing for energy efficiency projects between $5,000 and $20,000 so you can make energy saving improvements with no upfront costs.
If you have any questions regarding the loan process, contact Dana Hoffmann at 800-236-5560 ext. 2862 or Scott Hoerth at 800-236-5560 ext. 1251
You must use a Participating Me² contractor to receive rebates and financing. Contractors with the “Focus on Energy Small Business” icon can perform the initial lighting upgrades.
Energy Efficiency = A Smart Investment
Do what’s right for your business. Participate in Me².
Start saving energy and money day after day, year after year.
The Me² program (including WECC and the City of Milwaukee) does not endorse or guarantee the work or services of any particular consultant or contractor. Me² program participants will be entering into direct relationships with the consultant or contractor of choice.