The City of Milwaukee has hundreds of opportunities for new home building. Our affordable lot prices can put a newly constructed home within your reach. Building a house in one of Milwaukee’s urban neighborhoods puts you close to downtown, jobs, shopping, schools, entertainment and parks. Milwaukee’s extensive transit system can allow your family to live with just one car and roll the savings into that dream home.
So that everyone has a fair opportunity to purchase publicly owned land, and in the interest of growing our neighborhoods, we do not sell on a speculative basis. Lots are sold for new home construction and owner occupancy. If you are ready to build, we are ready to sell.
Here's how it works:
1. Select Your Lot
Look at the City’s lot inventory:
- Extended List. Offers are received on a first come basis with a 24 business hour hold for receipt of additional offers. The 24-hour period will commence with the date stamp by DCD Real Estate during regular business hours. Regular hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding City holidays. View in list format or in map format.
2. Find a Builder -- Design Your Home
- Milwaukee's New Home Catalogue
- Find an experienced homebuilder and prepare your house plans
- Design a home that is appropriate for the lot and the neighborhood. Pay attention to:
3. Prepare your budget
- Work with your builder to prepare an affordable budget that works for your project
- Avoid surprises by reserving in your budget or by making sure the following costs are included in the contract with your builder:
- $5,000 to $10,000 for additional excavation and soil disposal trucking fees since most City lots contain old foundations
- $8,000 for sewer and water lateral connections to city utilities in the street
- Costs for tree removal or utility pole relocation
These are approximate costs as of September, 2008. Your costs may
vary. Understand what is covered in the contract with your builder and
what costs you may be responsible for.
4. Obtain a prequalification letter for your budgeted costs
5. Submit Your Offer
- Complete the City Vacant Land Offer to Purchase (rev. 9/22/2008)
- Read the offer carefully for expiration and performance dates, buyer policies, sale terms and conditions and City disclosures
- Make sure all blanks are completed
- No broker is needed and the City will not pay any brokerage fees
- Attach your mortgage prequalification letter
- Submit the house elevations and a site plan if available for DCD approval. (Certain lots may require plan submission with the offer, see the listing sheet.) If you do not have plans yet, you must submit them in 30 days of offer acceptance.
DCD will accept your offer if the offering price is reasonable, your plans are compatible with the neighborhood and our design standards and you do not violate the City Buyer Policies.
6. Work on Your Final Plans
- Obtain DCD plan approval if plans were not submitted with your offer
- Apply for a building permit with DCD’s Development Center for the approved design
7. Close on the Lot
Closing must happen within 120 days of offer acceptance. Contingencies include submission to DCD of the following:
- Building permit for the approved design
- Executed construction contract
- Final financing with no contingencies and/or evidence of equity that matches your contract
The City will convey by Quit Claim Deed on an “as is, where is” basis
The City will provide title insurance if the sales price is $5,000 or
8. Start Building!
- Construction must start within 15 days of closing
- You must finish building and landscaping within 9 months of closing
9. Move In.
If you are unsure about the appropriateness of your plans in terms of lot size or design, call us at 414-286-5762 before submitting your offer
If you'd prefer to buy a new home ...
Several community organizations that build new homes on City lots have houses available for sale. For information on current availability, contact the following agencies:
Housing Authority - Highland Homes
Neighborhood Improvement Development Corporation Rehabilitated Homes
Milwaukee Christian Center