Master Property Record
Master Property Record, or MPROP as it is commonly called, is a table containing a record for each property in the city. It contains more than 90 elements of data describing each of the approximately 160,000 properties in the city. The file was created in 1975 to provide current and accurate property information with enough flexibility to be accessed in a variety of ways. Since it was implemented and made available, the data has become invaluable and is currently used by nearly every city department. This same data is now being broadly distributed in a format that is compatible with commonly available computer equipment and operating systems.
- MPROP is available in ASCII format. MPROP data currency is based on file date. This file is approximately 75 MB and may take some time to download depending on the speed of your connection.
- MPROP is available in XML format. This file is compressed (zipped). The file is approximately 21 MB compressed. After saving the zipped file to your hard drive, and extracting it, the resulting XML file will be approximately 400 MB containing around 160,000 records. Be patient, the importing of this data into Microsoft Access (or any other database) will take some time.
- MPROP is available in CSV format. This file is approximately 59 MB.
Documentation for MPROP is available in PDF format.
Looking for old versions of Milwaukee's Master Property Record (MPROP)? CLICK HERE to download data from as far back as 1975.
Master Address Index
Master Address Index, or MAI as it is commonly known, is a table containing a record for each address in the City. There are often multiple addresses associated with a single parcel which identify different buildings on the same parcel or a single building with multiple occupancies. MAI keeps track of each address assigned to a parcel. This distinguishes it from MPROP which has one official address associated with a parcel for tax purposes. MAI records also contain information such as unit number and zip code that can be used to generate mailing lists and other details about each address such as land use, mail status and whether it is residential or commercial. There are approximately 315,000 records in MAI. The table is maintained on a daily basis so it is a valuable source of current address information for the City.
- MAI is available in ASCII format. MAI data currency is based on file date. This file is approximately 35 MB.
- MAI is available in XML format. This file is compressed (zipped). The file is approximately 5.55 MB compressed. After saving the zipped file to your hard drive, and extracting it, the resulting XML file will be approximately 105 MB containing around 314,500 records. Be patient, the importing of this data into Microsoft Access (or any other database) will take some time.
- MAI is available in CSV format. This file is approximately 24 MB.
A data dictionary for MAI is available in PDF format.
Each City property has a formal legal description. The legal description for a taxkey may require up to seven logical records. Legal descriptions are available in ASCII format. Legal description data currency is based on file date. Documentation for Legal description is available in .pdf format.
Standard Industrial Classifications
Updated: February 24, 2010
The Standard Industrial Classifications (SIC Codes) are maintained by the Department of City Development's Information Center. These codes include the four digit SIC, a description of that SIC, a generalized two digit landuse category, and a generalized description.
SIC Codes are available in ASCII format and in word (.doc) format.
COMPASS: Query and Download
Another source of tabular data can be found on the COMPASS web page. The Query and Download application allows users to extract data based on various geographic features. Information is presented in two formats: in a screen display or in a Microsoft Excel document. Available data includes Uniform Crime Report (UCR), property data and addresses. Data can be used for creation of mailing labels per specific geographic areas and/or data downloaded and used in user specific software applications.