Technology has advanced so far that we can now work, shop, or even bank from the comfort of our own homes. However, this convenience has also come with the cost of vulnerability. Sensitive information may be remotely accessed by internet hackers in a variety of ways. There are tips and tools in place that we may use to protect ourselves, though. Here are a few basic cyber security tips:
- Apply virus protection and firewall software on all devices.
- Use strong, unpredictable passwords for online accounts.
- Stay up to date on viral vulnerabilities. Often times, this will mean accepting the updates on your device or firewall software.
For those involved in the private sector:
- Ensure that your business has a mobile device policy. Hackers have been known to access files through an employee's personal device.
- Create and maintain accurate cyber security training for all employees.
- Form an Incident Reponse Plan which takes into account cyber attacks.
These suggestions are taken from the US Computer Emergency Readiness Team's "10 Basic Cyber Security Measures." Click here for additional information and a more detailed explanation of the tips above.
The Nova Labs of PBS have also created an interactive game simulating the correct steps to securing an online network. Below are the links for a video explaining cyber security and the simulation game, the game itself, and a few more useful websites on the topic of cyber security.