All businesses must meet the following certification requirements:
- The business shall be a U.S.-based business which is independently owned, operated and controlled and is not dominant in its field of operation, or an affiliate or subsidiary of a business dominant in its field of operation.
- The business shall meet the size standards of the United States Small Business Administration (SBA).
- The business shall have demonstrated capacity to perform independently or as a subcontractor relative to its field of operation.
- The business shall not be owned, operated and controlled by individuals or groups of individuals, who own, operate and control a large business involved in the same category of work as the business for which SBE certification status is sought.
- The business shall be operational for at least one year prior to certification.
- The owner shall control the day-to-day critical operations of the firm.
- The owner or owners shall be citizens or permanent, legal residents of the United States.