School Crossing Guard
Milwaukee Police Department
A Substitute School Crossing Guard serves as a substitute at any school crossing within the assigned police district as needed within one hour's notice when the regularly assigned School Crossing Guard is absent. Substitute School Crossing Guards direct traffic to aid school children in safely crossing streets on days when public, private, and parochial schools are in session; prepare reports; and perform related duties as required. ASSIGNMENTS:
Substitute School Crossing Guards will be notified by telephone by the Milwaukee Police Department's Safety Divison and will be assigned to replace absent School Crossing Guards at any school crossing location within the police district in which they live. Substitute School Crossing Guards must be available for assignment daily. Regardless of the location of the assignment, no allowance is made for travel time or vehicle use.
UNIFORMS: Substitute School Crossing Guards will be furnished with, and are required to wear the following: hat, gloves, uniform winter coat, raincoat, Sam Browne belt, and a badge prescribed by the Milwaukee Police Department.
PLEASE NOTE: Your vision must be satisfactory in both eyes (Corrected 20/30 with glasses) and hearing satisfactory in both ears (hearing aid allowed) in order to pass the medical examination for employment in this position.
- Resident in the City of Milwaukee at time of appointment.
- At least 18 years of age.
- A height of at least 5 feet is desirable in order that School Crossing Guards may be visible to vehicle operators and to maximize the School Crossing Guard's field of vision.
- Ability to perform all required duties of the position, including physical tasks. Candidates will be required to pass a medical examination conducted by a medical examiner designated by the City.
- Willingness to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- Must have a telephone.
- Must have a valid State of Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Operator's License at time of application.
- Much have a car available for use for daily assignments.
TRAINING: Under direction of the Police Department's Safety Division, all persons appointed as Substitute School Crossing Guards are required to attend a 15 to 20 hour training course with pay conducted at the Milwaukee Safety Academy.
SALARY: $13.18 to $13.92 per hour. Because this is a part-time position, appointees are not eligible for fringe benefits.
APPLICATIONS and further information may be obtained inperson or via mail from the Police Department, Safety Division at 6880 N. Teutonia Avenue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53209, or by calling 935-7990. Applications received by the Safety Division will be kept on file and used to fill vacanct School Crossing Guard positions for one year from the date of application.