School Crossing Guard - Regular
School Crossing Guard
Milwaukee Police Department
At assigned locations, School Crossing Guard direct traffic to aid school children in safely crossing streets on days when public, private, and parochial schools are in session; prepare reports; and perform related duties as required.
Whenever possible, School Crossing Guards will be assigned to locations within reasonable walking distance of their homes. School Crossing Guards work an average of two to three hours per day.
UNIFORMS: School Crossing Guards will be furnished with, and are required to wear, the following: hat, gloves, uniform winter coat, raincoat, Sam Browne belt, and a badge prescribed by the Milwaukee Police Department.
- Resident in the City of Milwaukee at time of appointment.
- At least 18 years of age.
- A height of at least 5 feet is desirable in order that School Crossing Guards may be visible to vehicle operators and to maximize the School Crossing Guard's field of vision.
- Ability to perform all required duties of the position, including physical tasks. Candidates will be required to pass a medical examination conducted by a medical examiner designated by the City.
PLEASE NOTE: Your vision must be satisfactory in both eyes (Corrected 20/30 with glasses) and hearing satisfactory in both ears (hearing aid allowed) in order to pass the medical examination for employment in this position.
- Willingness to work outdoors in all types of weather.
TRAINING: Under direction of the Police Department's Safety Division, all persons appointed as School Crossing Guards are required to attend a 15 to 20 hour training course with pay conducted at the Milwaukee Safety Academy.
SALARY: $10.99 to $11.60 per hour. Because this is a part-time position, appointees are not eligible for fringe benefits.
APPLICATIONS and further information may be obtained in person or via mail from the Police Department, Safety Division at 6880 N. Teutonia Avenue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53209, or by calling 935-7990. Applications received by the Safety Division will be kept on file and used to fill vacant School Crossing Guard positions for one year from the date of application.
Return to Employment Opportunity Page