Elevator Check List
NEW ELEVATOR INSPECTION CHECK LIST
- 1) Buffer test
- a) Counterweight (empty)
- b) Car side (full load)
- 2) Car speed up and down
- 3) Run away (safety test)
- 1) Running pressure (F.L.)
- 2) Relief pressure (O.R.
- 3) Speed up kind down
NOTE: If safety is on the counterweight side set the car side first (with counterweight side tied off) then set the counterweight side (with car side tied off).
- a) 7 foot clearance
- b) lockout for 110 (lighting)
- c) fire extinguisher
- d) 2hr-fire rating (door)
- e) automatic door closer
- f) door must open outward
- g) GFI (ground fault interrupter)
- h) holes must be patched
- i) piping not related to elevator must separated from elevator equipment
- j) door key adjacent to disconnect
- k) door must locked from outside only
- l) check for smoke detector
HOISTWAY AND TOP OF CAR
- a) check tightness on nuts and bolts
- b) refuse space (42 inches)
- c) holes must be patched
- d) numbers on hoistway doors
- e) check top limit
- f) GFI (ground fault interrupter)
- g) check inspection station
a) must have floor drain
b) check pit switch
- c) Check oil return
- d) GFI (ground fault interrupter)
- a) phone
- b) door close and door open
- c) electric eyes
- d) safety edge
- e) phase 1 and 2 (fire service)
- f) check emergency lighting
- a) adequate lighting on all floors
- b) if non-finished floor, sills or floor should be tapered
- c) emergency key box for fireperson on main level
- d) check for smoke detector
- NOTE: Phone: Operator must know where you are calling from.
- Guard on light:
- a) top of car - plastic
- b) pit - metal
If a building is fully sprinklered, you must have both smoke and heat detectors.
In a sprinklered hydraulic elevator system, you must have a sprinkler in the pit and a heat detector within 2 ft. of that head. Atop the hoistway there must be a smoke detector.
In a sprinklered traction type elevator system you must have a sprinkler atop the hoistway with a heat detector within 2 ft of the sprinkler head. There also must be a smoke detector in the hoistway.
In both type of machinery rooms, both systems require a smoke and heat detector. Each sprinkler head in the machinery room requires a heat detector within 2 ft. of it. The smoke detector must be in each lobby and in the machinery room.