Well Woman Program
The Well Woman Program (WWP) provides preventive health screening services to low-income women who are uninsured or underinsured. Well Woman pays for mammograms, Pap tests, and multiple sclerosis testing. The program is administered by the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services, Division of Public Health, and is available in all 72 Wisconsin Counties and 11 tribes, including the City of Milwaukee Health Department. Well Woman works to decrease the mortality rate of breast and cervical cancer in all women in the city of Milwaukee through education, outreach, screening, treatment, community awareness and involvement.
What services does Well Woman Provide?
Clinical Breast Exams (CBE)
Breast Cancer Treatment Referral
Breast Self-Exam Instruction
Assessments for Multiple Sclerosis
Who is eligible for Well Woman Program?
Women ages 35-44 who are enrolled in the Family Planning Waiver Program (FPWP) with an abnormal CBE.
Women ages 35-44 who contact a local coordinating agency reporting any one of the following:
Breast Lump (or palpable mass)
Bloody or serious nipple discharge
Breast skin changes (dimpling, retraction, redness) or nipple/areolar scaliness.
Enrollment by local coordinating agency only (see below).
Written referral by the FPWP provider or the other referring provider.
How do I apply?
Enroll through a county or tribal Well Woman coordinating agency.
Simple enrollment form; requires proof of age, income and insurance status.
Women who eligible for the Wisconsin Well Woman Program are also eligible for the WISEWOMAN program (see WWWP eligibility requirements above). The WISEWOMAN program provides cardiovascular (heart disease and stroke) risk factor screening services.
- Pays for specified cardiovascular risk factor screening and diagnostic tests.
- Pays for lifestyle intervention activities to help women learn how to reduce risk factors for heart disease and stroke.
- Covered services are available from participating providers at no cost to women who are also enrolled in the Wisconsin Well Woman Program.
- Services for WWWP and WISEWOMAN must occur in the same vist.
- There is no premium, deductible or co-payment for WISEWOMAN services.
How to apply
- Women enrolled in WWWP through the City of Milwaukee local coordinating agency may also enroll in WISEWOMAN.
Simple consent form
For the Suburban Milwaukee County Local Coordinator please call 414-326-7407. For the City of Milwaukee Local Coordinator please call the City of Milwaukee MBCCAP office directly at 414-286-2133. Outside of Milwaukee contact your local Well Woman Program coordinating agency (PDF, 27 KB), Well Woman Program at 1-608-266-8311.