Better Buildings Challenge
Fill out an interest form here.
Milwaukee is a leading participant in the Better Buildings Challenge, a Department of Energy (DOE) national leadership program calling on corporate chief executives, university presidents, state, local and school district leaders to reduce their portfolio-wide energy use by 20 percent by 2020 and showcase the solutions they use and the results they achieve.
“Through the Better Buildings Challenge, we're working to rebuild Milwaukee from the inside out.” said Tom Barrett, Milwaukee Mayor. “With energy efficiency projects, our historic existing buildings can save money, create local jobs, and contribute to a more vibrant community.”
What Can my Business or Organization Do?
- Explore financing options through the Me2: Milwaukee Energy Efficiency Program
- Track your energy use. Energy your building's information into Portfolio Manager. The EPA's Portfolio Manager is the industry standard interactive energy management tool that allows you to track and assess energy and water consumption across your entire portfolio of buildings in a secure online environment.
- Share your organizations building data through Portfolio Manager. Follow these Data Sharing Directions.
- BOMA Support: The Milwaukee chapter of the Building Owners and Management Association (BOMA) and the Downtown Business Improvement District have joined the effort and will encourage all of Milwaukee’s downtown property owners and managers to participate in the Better Buildings Challenge.
- "Energy efficiency projects can help existing building owners remain competitive. We need to walk the talk, and we hope others will follow our lead.” - Sheldon Oppermann, the Immediate Past President for the Wisconsin chapter of BOMA and Vice President for Compass Properties, has pledged the City Center at 735 N Water Street, as the first office participant from the private sector to accept the challenge.
- “Transwestern applauds the City of Milwaukee’s commitment to the Better Buildings Challenge by using its portfolio to promote energy efficiency and lead the community by example. Transwestern is proud that One Park Plaza is participating in Milwaukee’s Better Building Challenge as well as in Transwestern’s national portfolio commitment to the Better Buildings Challenge of 78 million square feet.” - Allan Skodowski, Transwestern Managing Senior Vice President & Director of Sustainability
- "There is so much economic benefit to be realized when you increase the efficiency of your facility.....how can you not pursue this? On top it, add the social and environment benefits. Roll it all together and this is what success in one aspect of facility management feels like. And, it's a good feeling, trust me." - Frank Nicosia, MGIC Building Manager, Administration
Join These Organizations That are Taking the Challenge
- City government Buildings
- US Bank Building
- City Center at 735
- A.H. Wells Building
- BMO Harris Bank Headquarters
- One Park Plaza
- 100 E Wisconsin Ave
- MGIC Building
- Columbia Property Trust
- The Blue
- Milwaukee Athletic Club
- University Club
Milwaukee's Showcase Project
The City of Milwaukee's Central Library is Milwaukee's Showcase Project in the Better Buildings Challenge. Since 2009, the City has cut energy use at the building by over 10% through energy efficiency improvements.
Milwaukee's leadership on the Better Buildings Challenge was recognized by the US Department of Energy and received local coverage from CBS 58 and WUWM.
In The News