|For Immediate Release
February 15, 2010
|Contact: Steve Kwaterski
Mayor Barrett Delivers 6th Annual State of the City Address
MILWAUKEE – Today Mayor Tom Barrett delivered his annual State of the City address at Manpower International Headquarters in Downtown Milwaukee. The speech focused on the Mayor’s goals of creating and attracting new jobs to Milwaukee, reducing crime, and preparing Milwaukee for the future.
Some of the highlights of Mayor Barrett’s speech include:
- The Mayor and We Energies CEO Gale Klappa announcing that the Spanish firm Ingeteam will be locating its North American headquarters and manufacturing facility in the Menomonee Valley.
- The Mayor’s efforts of working with regional partners like the Milwaukee 7 to attract, retain and create new jobs in the City of Milwaukee.
- In 2009, there was a 7.2 percent reduction of all crime, a thirteen percent reduction in violent crime, and a twenty percent reduction in violent crime over the last two years.
- The Mayor honored Milwaukee police officers Vidal Colon, James Jekanoski, Graham Kunisch and Bryan Norberg for sustaining serious injuries in the line of duty while working to protect the people of Milwaukee.
- The Mayor honored Milwaukee firefighters John and Joel Rechlitz, and Police Lieutenant Mark Wroblewski for their heroism saving a four year old boy from a burning van last summer.
- The Mayor recognized the efforts of Darrell Finch and his work through the Milwaukee Housing Authority’s Education Initiative.
Click here to read the Mayor’s speech